I. Study the following sentences which contain adjective + preposition combinations and underline the correct alternative
1.Terry, who had been absent from/in school for two weeks, was surprised to see a new girl in a class. Her name was Pam.
2. Sara is accustomed to/with working at night. Working in the daytime is unusual for her.
3. Are you acquainted with/of Kaye? She runs English-Zone.Com.
4. Ben was addicted to/on drugs, but Gwyneth turned his life around.
5. Are you afraid of/with flying saucers?
6. She is really envious of/about her sister’s success.
7. Sara was so angry about/with Gary that she got in her car and drove away.
8. I'm very proud of/at my daughter's wonderful progress in school.
9. Pam was annoyed at/of Tom for being late for the date.
10. Yoko was anxious with/about going to the dentist.
11.The conference was dedicated to/with the problems associated with hacking.
12. Are you aware of/off the dangers of the Internet?
13. Todd is bored with/at backgammon.
14. Susan was disappointed by/with her meal.
15. Is Doctor Jones familiar of/with that new pill?
16. The Smiths are very happy with/about their new car.
17. Are you in favor with/ of abortion?
18. He is really opposed against/to buying a new car.
19. He is not satisfied by/with his new school
20. Maria is tired with/of working for a living.
21. Don’t be frightened by/at the dog, he won’t bite.
22. John is interested in/by anthropology.
23. I was surprised by/with his behavior.
24. He cannot be certain of/on the date.
25. She seems to be totally different from/of what I expected.
II. Study the following sentences which contain verb + preposition combinations and underline the correct alternative.
1.The scary man is accused of/with stealing.
2 I was wondering if you would agree with/to me.
3.Mark, please apologize for/with being unkind to your sister!
4. Mary applied to/at California University and Steve applied for/to a job.
5. I have never approved of/with smoking.
6. They are always arguing with/to their neighbours about the noise but they never argue about/of what measures should be taken.
7. The plane finally arrived in/to New York and my friend arrived to/at the gate at 8:00.
8. Do you believe in/on space aliens?
9. Sara is to blame on/ for this broken window.
10. My sister borrowed $15 from/to me.
11. Please do not complain about/of the color.
12. She consented to/with her daughter’s marriage.
13. Water consists of/in hydrogen and oxygen.
14. I am depending on/of you to help me.
15. We laughed at/to his silly shirt.
16. Do you object to/against my smoking?
17. He succeeded to/in making everyone angry.
18. My grandmother is always obsessing over/ at her health.
19. The children were expelled out of/from school for their bad behavior
20. Haven’t you been taught by your parents that it is rude to stare at/to people?
21. Her book is pitched at/to teenagers.
22. That morning he preached to/at two thousand people.
23.I am sure that these pills would prevent you from/against feeling sick again.
24. The whole deal preyed in/on my mind till dusk.
25. My brother was promoted as/to senior group manager.
III. The following senteces contain some of the most commonly used noun + preposition combinations that can be followed by gerunds. Study the sentences and choose the correct preposition.
1. His addiction to/with surfing the Internet is a problem.
2. He has the advantage of/on speaking English fluently.
3. Her anxiety for/ about speaking in public caused her to lose the job.
4. His belief about/in not harming animals was something he learned from his mother.
5. She took credit on/ for improving the filing system.
6. His dedication to/in teaching was impressive.
7. The delay on/ in processing the visa caused problems.
8. His devotion on/to biking allowed him to win the competition.
9. The disadvantage with/of flying is that you can't see the scenery along the way.
10. Her fondness on/ for traveling led to her career in the travel industry.
11. His habit of/with smoking in restaurants caused many problems in California.
12. Her career as a pilot evolved out of her interest in/on flying.
13. Her knowledge on/of climbing helped her during the competition.
14. His love for/of singing developed when he was a child.
15. Their memories about/of traveling in Africa will stay with them forever.
16. I think his preference in/ for speaking his native language is natural.
17.The process with/of painting such a large mural is more complicated than you might think.
18. His reaction at/to winning the prize was quite funny.
19. The main reason for/to taking the course is to improve your language skills.
20. The criminal's regret for/of committing the crime did not convince the judge.
21. The magazine's report about/on choosing the right car was not well researched.
22. Her reputation at/for lying is well known.
23. His responsibility in/for completing the project on time was acknowledged by the company.
24. I don't know if I believe his story of/about seeing a UFO.
25. His talent in/ for learning languages was impressive.
IV. In the following sentences the prepositions have been omitted. Fill in each gap with a preposition in order to form well- known fixed phrases.
1. According …… the news, it will rain tonight.
2. Can you take this bottle along …..these cans, to the recycle bin?
3. I am speaking on behalf………..my political pary.
4. Because …….. the strike, there will be no buses today.
5. The child entered the yard by means ……… an open gate.
6. John went to Paris by way …….. London.
7. In addition ……… studying ballet full-time, Patricia works part-time.
8. In case ……..fire, break glass and pull alarm.
9. In consideration …….. all your hard work I would like to take you to dinner.
10. In contrast ……… last summer, this summer is quite cool.
11. In deference ………. her age, we did not argue with her.
12. We came here in hopes ……….. meeting the famous musician.
13. He gave an oral report in lieu …….. the written exam.
14. The business is in pursuit ………. excellence.
15. They went into the cave in search ………the lost treasure.
16. In spite ……… his good intentions, he did not study much or do well on the exam.
17. In the face ……… a severe drought, conservation measures needed to be adopted.
18. He was a good teacher in terms ………. getting his students to pass their exams.
19. I will do my best to finish it in accordance…..the terms of the contract.
20. He did everything in the name …… God.
21. This is written in accordance….what I have learned.
22. I am buying this house now with a view ……. selling it at a different price later on.
23. His grandfather died as a result …. a heart attack.
24. The council is in agreement …..the government.
25. Steve was ahead …his time.